Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Years from the Rose Parade!

I have come to realize that there are many things and places I take for granted having been born and raised in California. We have talked about going to the Rose Parade ever since I was little but just never quite made the two hour drive north to take in the parade in person. This new years we made the parade a reality.


Jim's parents came out to visit from Chicago and the Rose Parade has been on Bev's life list of things to do or places to go. My mom has also always wanted to go so we decided to make it a big family outing. Early Thursday morning Jim and I, my parents, and Jim's parents left San Diego headed north while Jen, Matt and Elijah headed south from Bakersfield. I was amazed at how crowded the parade route was at 6am. We made our way to the grandstands to take our seats and wait for the parade to start.


After the flyover by the B-2 bomber, the first float came into view. The view from our seats was great. The floats were incredible. I never knew such a variety of flowers, plant materials and organic materials existed. The designs and detail were impressive. My favorite floats were the ones with all of the vibrant colors. Jim's favorite float was the surfer float. The whole experience was a little surreal.

Vera Bradley float- I love purses!


The detail was amazing

Jim's favorite float

We all had a great time watching the parade and listening to the bands. Bev is already talking about coming out for the parade again...she loved it! I'm glad that we were able to play a part in making one of her "dreams" come true. Although we probably won't go back to see the parade in person for some time, it was a great experience and we were happy to share it with family. Next year we will probably watch it on tv and remember the fun time we had the previous year... and then maybe brave the crowds the day after to see the floats up close and in person.

This was a great way to start off the new year. Happy New Years!

2 comments:

Kelly Benware said...

Love the new layout!

Schell Family said...

This looks like a lot of fun - I hope to get up there to see it someday too. In High School we volunteered and helped decorate which was really fun, but I've never actually seen the parade :)!